Spring in Taiwan is a maddening time. Temperatures can range from the high thirties to the low teens. It also drizzles off and on with amazing frequency. The locals call it mei yu. Today was a warm bright day, the worst time to be caught dressed in a suit and rushing. I was late for the viewing, and looked flustered and uncomfortable as I walked into the serviced apartment lobby. I was directed to the second floor where a group of people where my colleagues were chatting and sipping coffee. I announced my arrival by apologizing for being late.
She stood up, strode across the room, and introduced herself confidently to me. She smiled coquettishly. She said that it was perfectly fine, and understood that I was very busy. She offered me a coffee which I declined. She spoke near perfect English, with a slight American accent. She was small built, but very proportioned. She was a slim lady who carried herself in a manner that made her look taller than her five foot two frame. Dressed in a crisp black suit with a light patterned inner blouse, she looked tastefully attractive. She had a sleek bob cut, her straight hair nicely framed her face, something which longer hair would not do. I stole a glance at her legs which were clad in long black stockings. They were long and slender. I tried not to look too captivated. I grinned to the guys – one of those guy things that guys do - but said nothing more.
The viewing went quickly, and was done with great efficiency. I liked the place. She dropped an e-mail to me under an hour – a killer thing that smart people do to leave an impression. Her message was short and informal, but allowed enough room to leave a friendly message back.
Two weeks later, we were viewing the rooms again, this time for me to make my mind up. We did this as a one to one. She invited her General Manager to say hi, and then at the end of the viewing, she offered me coffee. She threw in a salad because she said that I had to try the food. This time I accepted. And we sat down in a quiet place to chat. I had originally planned to stay for 10 minutes, but ended spending an hour and a half.
No comments:
Post a Comment